"I still think that one of the pleasantest of all emotions is to know that I, I with my brain and my hands, have nourished my beloved few, that I have concocted a stew or a story, a rarity or a plain dish, to sustain them truly against the hungers of the world."

M.F.K. Fisher, The Gastronomical Me

Monday, March 15, 2010

Cheesy Ham Crostini


Entertaining for crowds can be stressful, especially when it comes to preparing enough food to satisfy your guests. The key to keep it simple: Use ingredients you have on hand, limit yourself to two to four ingredients per appetizer, and think about your oven/toaster oven space.

I came up with these crostini while trying to find something simple and quick to eat for lunch. I had some leftover whole wheat baguette and ham steak, so I put two and two together. The product was delicious!

The following makes a dozen crostini.
INGREDIENTS:
12 slices of whole wheat baguette, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
12 slices of marble jack cheese (Parmesan is delicious, too!)
3 slices of cooked ham steak, diced

METHOD:
Place the slices of cheese on the slices of baguette; top with ham. Broil in oven (or toaster oven!) ten minutes or until brown on top. Serve hot!

I always use my toaster oven for appetizers because it keeps the number of available hot appetizers down to a plateful, a more manageable size for food meant to be served hot. It also takes less time to cook food in a toaster oven because the space that needs to heated up is smaller than a conventional oven. It is also very easy to set up in an area outside your kitchen, so you can assign the "refilling the toaster oven" duty to a good friend at your party, and relieve some of the burden of hosting.

Enjoy!
Miss Browning

No comments:

Post a Comment