"I still think that one of the pleasantest of all emotions is to know that I, I with my brain and my hands, have nourished my beloved few, that I have concocted a stew or a story, a rarity or a plain dish, to sustain them truly against the hungers of the world."

M.F.K. Fisher, The Gastronomical Me

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Whole Wheat French Baguette

Since I mentioned that I used leftover whole wheat baguette for my Cheesy Ham Crostini, I thought that I'd share the recipe for the baguette*. Whole wheat bread is much denser than bread made with white flour, so if you're looking for a light, crusty bread, this may not be the one for you. However, if you're looking for hearty bread to serve with soup, salad, or even a roast (like me!), this bread is for you! It's moist, delicious, and lasts (wrapped in tin foil) for almost a week! This recipe makes two long loaves. I froze the second one.

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup warm water

1/2 tsp. sugar

2 pkgs. dry yeast

2 tbsp. sugar

2 tbsp. oil

2 tsp. salt

2 cups boiling water
2 cups whole wheat flour
4-5 cups flour


and for the glaze:
1 egg

2 tbsp milk (I used whole milk. Yum!)


METHOD:
Boil the 2 cups of water. Once it's rolling, mix in the oil, 2 tbsp sugar, and salt. Let cool to lukewarm. Meanwhile, combine the warm water with the 1/2 tsp sugar, then add the yeast and stir to dissolve. Add the lukewarm water mixture to the yeast mixture, then stir in the flours.

Knead 10 minutes on a floured surface until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm place 1 hour. Punch down, and then cover and rest for 15 minutes. Punch down again and turn the dough onto the floured surface. Divide the dough in half, and roll each half into a rectangle. Roll up the rectangle the long way and gently roll back and forth (like you did making worms with playdough). Fold the ends under to seal and place on a greased cookie sheet. Repeat with second half. Cover and let rise 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Mix together the egg and milk to create the glaze. Use a brush to coat the loaves on all sides but the bottom. I had a lot left over. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve warm.


That's it! Bread always takes a while, but if you find yourself at home for the day, it's easy to prepare it while you're doing other tasks. These particular loaves are especially worth your time!


Enjoy!

Miss Browning

* Myers, Sarah E. and Mary Beth Lind.
Recipes from the Old Mill: Baking with Whole Grains. Intercourse, PA: Good Books, 1995.

No comments:

Post a Comment