"I still think that one of the pleasantest of all emotions is to know that I, I with my brain and my hands, have nourished my beloved few, that I have concocted a stew or a story, a rarity or a plain dish, to sustain them truly against the hungers of the world."

M.F.K. Fisher, The Gastronomical Me

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Homemade Chicken Stock

Ahh, the spoils of a roasted chicken. So tender, moist, and delicious during dinner that all you're left with after your guests are gone are the bones. And what wonderful bones they are. Many people unknowingly throw out chicken bones after they're done feasting, not realizing that they're throwing away some of the best chicken broth they've ever tasted, not to mention dollars spent on store-bought broth. With a few extra chops of the knife, they could create chicken broth that would last at least 6 months (in the freezer, of course!).

My husband and I had over some dear friends (and their new baby!) last night for dinner. On the menu was roast chicken. I gave my husband strict instructions before cleaning up that he was not, under any circumstances, to put the chicken bones in the garbage. This afternoon, I filled a large pot with water, and added the chicken bones and carcass. I then took two minutes to chop up two carrots and two celery stalks to add to the stock, and sprinkled in some salt and pepper. Here's what the stock looked like before it simmered for five hours:

And after! Yum! So easy even my husband could do it!

Enjoy!
Miss Browning

No comments:

Post a Comment