"I still think that one of the pleasantest of all emotions is to know that I, I with my brain and my hands, have nourished my beloved few, that I have concocted a stew or a story, a rarity or a plain dish, to sustain them truly against the hungers of the world."

M.F.K. Fisher, The Gastronomical Me

Friday, March 5, 2010

The Humble Egg

What is so satisfying about eating an egg? It seems a rather strange thing to consume; the cast-off of a hen who continually goes "unsatisfied". It is an excellent source of protein and a quick meal at breakfast. A single egg can sustain someone throughout the morning; a stomach growl being the only indication that lunch-time is here.

It's amazing how versatile the little oblong guy is. You can break him, scramble him, and fry him; crack him over your skillet and fry him; hard-boil him; poach him; fry him with other ingredients to make an omelette; use the whites to give lift to baked goods; and the list continues. It's no wonder eggs come in dozens, rather than singles or pairs.

Ponder no more the eternal breakfast question: "What should I eat this morning?"

Enjoy!
Miss Browning

No comments:

Post a Comment