"I still think that one of the pleasantest of all emotions is to know that I, I with my brain and my hands, have nourished my beloved few, that I have concocted a stew or a story, a rarity or a plain dish, to sustain them truly against the hungers of the world."

M.F.K. Fisher, The Gastronomical Me

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by! This blog will be about food and our relationship with it: How it comforts us, sustains us, and sometimes makes us queasy. There will be a healthy blend of writing shared here, including the following:

1. Recipes: A mix of hearty, family recipes and new, trendy ones
2. Stories of being fed, families and eating, and experiences cooking for my loved ones.
3. Anecdotal descriptions of dining out experiences

Before I embark on this journey, I should probably explain the blog's name. It is named after two of my favorite fiction characters, Miss Amy Browning and Mr. Ito, from M.F.K. Fisher's story "What Happened to Miss Browning". It's about the a middle-aged woman coming into her own, with the help of the "exotic" Mr. Ito. I feel that the prim, proper, traditional Miss Browning personifies the hearty, family recipes I'll share, and Mr. Ito the new dishes I'll post.

Everyone is welcome to cross-post recipes, try them out in their own kitchens, comment on the stories, and share their own.

Enjoy!
Miss Browning

2 comments:

  1. Fun! Can't wait to see what you have to say! I've recently gotten into a blog called Smitten Kitchen (http://www.smittenkitchen.com) - she's been blogging for a while and has some great ideas if you ever get stuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've heard of that blog and will need to check it out soon! Not to be confused with the "Smitten Kitten", I suppose. :P

    ReplyDelete