"I still think that one of the pleasantest of all emotions is to know that I, I with my brain and my hands, have nourished my beloved few, that I have concocted a stew or a story, a rarity or a plain dish, to sustain them truly against the hungers of the world."

M.F.K. Fisher, The Gastronomical Me

Friday, March 5, 2010

Chicken Rochne

Here's a recipe from my mother's kitchen that is an instant comfort after a long day. You can prepare the casserole in the morning, then pop it in the oven when you get home from work. I make sure to keep the five ingredients on hand so I can make Chicken Rochne whenever my day didn't go my way.

INGREDIENTS:
4 chicken breast halves, cooked and chopped/torn from bones
1 can cream of chicken soup
8 oz sour cream
15 Ritz crackers
3 tbsp butter, melted

METHOD:
Butter the bottom and sides of a casserole dish (medium or large-sized will do). Arrange chicken in the bottom of pan. Combine soup and sour cream; pour over chicken. Coat Ritz crackers with melted butter, spread over chicken mixture. Add more crackers if needed. Cook in a 350 degree oven 40 minutes, then serve.

Scrumptious. My mouth is watering just thinking about this dish! Don't be afraid to spice it up any way you choose. I think the tanginess of the sour cream stands well on its own, but think salt and pepper wouldn't be offensive. Goes well with rice pilaf and green peas.

Enjoy!
Miss Browning

No comments:

Post a Comment